Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You for the Music

Watched Mama Mia movie couple days ago, good songs. When I saw the movie intro in the cinema, I was a bit turned off by it... seeing the great Meryl Streep singing and dancing wasn't one of my fantasy. But the songs did ring some bells. I've heard some of them when I was a child. My vague memory of ABBA on TV tells me they are a group of 4 european singers... but only now did I know their lyrics were so great... like poems. The last song in the movie was my favorite - Thank you for the music, sung by Amanda Seyfried.

That triggered me to go back in time to dig out a few old songs that I used to listen to. Songs played in the radios. A lot of typical hits in the 80's came to mind. Artists, Bands, and groups, mostly from the UK, and the US. Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Thompson Twins, Culture Club, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Eurythmics, Cindi Lauper, MJ, Wham, Petshop Boys, the list goes on, and I am sounding old. Not that I don't like the pops nowadays, but those were the memories.

One song that my friend Marvin likes a lot when we were roommates was Victims by Boy George. I don't know why he likes this song so much, but I guess it's a bit different from his other songs.

I used to buy all Tears For Fears tapes and play them loud at the apartment... I know Marvin must have endured a lot all these years... Thank you for the patience.

No comments: