Friday, April 18, 2008

Promotion Nomination

Months ago when I noticed her performance and potentials, I started to set the stage for this. I am quite impressed with her versatility, attitude, and personality. And I believe I can help her excel. After all, I was once a subordinate and I knew the difference a manager can make.

I tried to raise her profile by engaging her with more meetings with senior management and external parties. It's a partnership. It will only work if she is willing and can in fact perform. She didn't let me down.

Writing recommendation is not as easy as writing blogs. I've put in a lot of effort trying to polish the write up. Knowing what the readers are looking for is key. Emphasis strength, and present the need is also important. Coz after all it's all about business case. I think I did pretty good on that.

Another hurdle is the panel review, which was done today. A panel of managers would review the nominees together to see if they are all okay with the promotions. I am prepared to fight the battle and had thought of numerous justifications to support her.

Surprisingly, it was easier than I expected. Not only were there no objections, my senior manager actually gave some good comments too. No blood was shed. And the important thing was that my effort was well spent.

No comments: